Saturday, September 20, 2008

An introduction

My purpose with this blog is to have a place where I not only learn, gather, and synthesize resources, but to reflect upon and share my teaching practices as they evolve with my focus on digital literacy and learning with the technology and digital tools available to me. In the district where I teach English and psychology, our high schools lagging seriously behind in classroom technologies, so this presents a challenge I must work around, but I think this is a common challenge across the nation. I look forward to learning from my students, other teachers, and technology gurus in this process.

Currently, I am participating in a professional learning community of three senior English teachers and a teacher librarian with this goal: Students will become more critical and responsible users of digital content (through the research process). In addition, I am working on an action research project with my most excellent colleague, Fran Prather (the teacher librarian referenced above) in which we introduce reading strategies into the research process with the goal of increasing student comprehension and generating stronger information literacy skills. Finally, to help me with these goals, I am also taking two courses at ASU, one online and one classroom in the area of technology integration and media literacy.

No comments: