Sunday, November 16, 2008

Podcasting and Vodcasting

As part of our action research project and our site and ASU work, Fran and I have been focusing on reading strategies in the research process, digital literacy, and the research process itself. I have mentioned my frustration with students' neediness and inability to think through content and process for themselves (remember, the ARE seniors). I feel compelled to explore other means for breaking down and communicating some of the steps. When I read in Richardson's book about video and podcasting, I came up with the idea of creating short mini-lessons that students can watch including video of setting up the research paper literally with Word with an instructional voice over. In addition, I might add a podcast for the students for "the final checklist" prior to turning the paper in. Finally, I am very interested in what would happen if I offered teacher feedback on the papers in the form of a podcast narrative. This is unteneable to take on with all my students, but I will try it with two smaller classes or a subset of students. As I work through my thoughts on this, I am refining my action reserach to the question: What will happen if I introduce instructional materials and teacher feedback through vodcast and podcast format to the students? Will it improve their process? Will the feedback mean more? Will students retain and transfer the feedback as they apply it to the next research project in the winter?

No comments: